Monday, June 18, 2012

Treasure Hunting in Thrift Shops - My Mom's Influence

I was asked to help out in Auntie Rose's Kabunyan Thrift Shop located in the second floor of Hansel Arcade, a commercial building along Aurora Boulevard, corner of Imperial Street, in the bustling business center in Quezon City, Cubao. 

I was already 5 months off from being unemployed after I originally planned to go back to school, supposedly, to take up law. Then, my allowable period to be enrolled has passed since I passed the entrance exams and interview in one of the leading schools of law in country. Maybe I am not set to get into Law School, I may not have my mindset to it. So I may not really molded for such... I am not much of a smooth talker anyway. There may be other plans for me to be into. And I realized that I need personal income. So, although I went on with bar operations with our Restobar back home in Baguio, I found something more interesting to do, getting into retail, via my old time favorite, Thrift Shopping.


Back in my childhood days, my mom had been taking me to the Northern Luzon Association for the Blind (NLAB) Thrift Shop, in Camp Henry Allen, Baguio City. I enjoyed looking around their knick-knacks, housewares, home decors, garments, sporting goods, etc... I would sometimes look at some bottles that I would usually ask why they are being sold there and not to the bakal-bote door to door people. The attendant would explain to me that those are collectible items, not ordinary bottles. Then I will go and play with fellow kids, many of whom are children of those who help out in the shop as well as those of foreign sponsors. 

My mom was a thrifter of the NLAB Thrift Shop. She brought goods for sale at the shop. They can be items that we do not need at home but can still be valuable to others, some things that can be sold to  enthusiasts and sponsors who have something to spare for the needy. She would as well be buying items that she, too, can resell to friends. We weren't really that well-off, but with strong-will, we are people who managed through difficulties, and this is one of my Mom's way... Because, my mom was left to raise 7 children. I, being the youngest, with an 8-year gap with my older sister, admittedly was the baby of the family as I stay from 1 sibling to the other during days that our mom goes around for goods from thrift stores in the US Bases in the 80's, Clark Air Base in particular. Well, she was also into the "black market" of imported goods, influenced by my aunt, her sister who married a former US Army. There were Spam, Target corned beef, Jergens Lotion, Oil of Olay, Dove soap, etc.

In my Mom's buy-and-sell business of thrifted goods, I got to enjoy toys and different gadgets. I knew they are not going to be mine forever, but I became the demo kid for those who are interested to buy. Then, when there are no more toys to play with, I found an ingenious idea of taking my Yakult bottles and Jellyace cups to make a toy robot (mind you, really!) Until I was given a real toy robot that was finally marked MINE, remember the walking, flashing and turning robots in the 80's? It was a second hand toy from Clark, probably a former toy of an American kid.

Now, I am in my first year tending on my corner of the Kabunyan Thrift Shop. I handle the specialty finds of selected vintage items, handmade articles, interesting local crafts, knick-knacks and antiques, and my showroom for the bags posted for sale in BAG FINDS BY JULES.

The Ladies' Wear Corner for vintage tops and dresses, with selected handmade accessories to complete the look. Alternately, you can find bags. 




Bags inside the glass showcase are interesting finds that you may find at BAG FINDS BY JULES.






I was always been into ties. I was able to support my allowance in college because I had many customers who were into my tie finds in our old shop in Baguio City, on the side of Prime. I had saved a few collectible designs and put them in frames, the Safari Tie featuring Lions are I think by Gian Franco Ferre, will try to recheck (bear with me, these  ties are my finds 14 years ago). Well, as much as many attempted to offer a price for these frames, THE FRAMED TIES ARE NOT FOR SALE!




Casual Blazers and formal/casual shirts at the Men's corner. Some shoes.




Some of the knick-knacks, and there is my mascot, Rolly hanging around in his Planet Hollywood tank shirt.  And HE IS NOT FOR SALE, as much as many kept asking for him so badly, because he is simply cute hanging in there. 

This is my corner in the Kabunyan Thrift Shop. Just look for me if you need assistance in shopping for unique vintage fashions, collectible items, and most especially, BAGS, BAGS and BAGS.

My siblings are also into thrift shops. Will feature their stores in Baguio next time.

No comments: